The Systems and Data Analysis department at the Fraunhofer-Chalmers Centre for Industrial Mathematics intends to hire a student for an internship. The starting date is flexible, but the end date is firm, it’s the end of May 2018. You would be working under my supervision and contribute to algorithm development in the realm of big data analytics. This internship is related to our work on Contraction Clustering (RASTER).
Here is the job ad:
Internship at the Fraunhofer-Chalmers Centre for Industrial Mathematics
The Fraunhofer-Chalmers Research Centre for Industrial Mathematics (FCC)
offers software, services and contract research for a broad range of
industrial applications. Modelling, simulation and optimization of products
and processes can boost technical development, improve efficiency and cut
costs of both large and small businesses. Since 2001, our highly skilled team
of mathematicians and engineers has successfully solved problems for more than
170 clients. We combine consultancy services with innovative research and
development based on a wide spectrum of competences.
We are looking for an ambitious student with a background in computer science
or related fields to assist in an ongoing applied research project in the
Systems and Data Analysis department. You will contribute to research in data
stream processing that is conducted in the area of distributed data analytics.
- Implement a stream processing algorithm, which was developed in-house
- Compare the implementation with other existing algorithms on a variety
- Functional programming in Scala or Haskell
- Experience implementing algorithms based on a mathematical specification
- Algorithms/Machine Learning, in particular clustering
- Stream processing, in particular Apache Spark - Structured Streaming
- Data visualization, in particular Matplotlib
Your ideal profile:
- Chalmers student at the Master's level, preferably in the penultimate year
- Pursuing a degree in Computer Science or a similar field
- Previous work experience in the software industry or as a student research
- Ability to work independently
If you maintain a private code repository (Github, Gitlab, Bitbucket etc.),
then please highlight this in your application. If you have other samples of
work to show, such as a portfolio of projects on a blog or private website,
we would be keen to have a look.
This internship is a paid part-time (4h/week) fixed-term position until the
end of May 2018. The starting date is flexible.
Mats Jirstrand, Head of Department
firstname.lastname@example.org, 031-772 42 50
Emil Gustavsson, Applied Researcher/Data Scientist
email@example.com, 031-772 42 92
Gregor Ulm, Research and Development Engineer
firstname.lastname@example.org, 031-772 42 71
Please send your application, marked "Contracted Student / SYS (OODIDA)",
consisting of a cover letter, CV, and a current academic transcript, to
Interviews will be held continually. Please apply as soon as possible.